Jump to Navigation

What are my rights as an unmarried parent?

Unmarried Parents & Child Custody & Child Support

We Can Guide You Through the Legal Process

Child custody and child support are more complicated for unmarried parents. If the father was not legally recognized by the court, the parents will have to take steps to make this happen before custody or child support actions can be filed.

The Ewing Law Office LLC provides representation to fathers and mothers who are not married. We understand the challenges that unmarried parents face. You can rely on us to listen carefully to you before we suggest a way to move forward. To schedule a no obligation initial consultation to discuss unmarried parents, child custody and child support, please call (615) 800-3720.

Take the First Step Today

Unmarried fathers must get a court order to recognize them as a father before they can apply for rights to custody and visitation. The court cannot base custody decisions solely on gender by automatically choosing mothers over fathers. Instead, judges must consider what is in the best interests of the children. Generally, the preference is for joint custody so both parents can participate in the children's lives.

Child support is another critical matter that unmarried fathers must address. It is best to establish child support as soon as possible so the court will not consider their payments past-due. If this occurs, their parental rights could be affected.

Our law firm has handled numerous paternity suits, fathers' rights cases and related matters in juvenile court. Attorney Lisa Millican Ewing has the experience to protect your rights and your relationship with your children.

Contact a Murfreesboro Visitation Rights Attorney

Please call our Nashville office at (615) 800-3720 or contact us online to schedule a no obligation initial consultation with an experienced Tennessee family law lawyer.

Send Us a Message

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Ewing Law Office, LLC
222 Second Avenue North
Suite 419
Nashville, TN 37201
Map and Directions

Local: 615-244-1582
Local: 615-800-3720
Toll Free: 866-959-4482
Fax: 615-713-5161